My two tasks that I wanted to complete was to create my account for the PharCas program and seek volunteer oppurtunities for students who are inspired pharmacists. When i mean volunteer oppurtunities, I mean in hospitals, retirement homes, etc... The PharmCas program is basically a website where a student uploads all the classes they have taken with their grades so it can be sent out to any pharmacy school. In other words, its an online application that is sent out in bulk. I successfully registered, but did not upload any of my classes because I'm not done with school yet and dont know my grades. Once again, I was really prolonging in doing this task, but finally did it.
Another task that I wanted to accomplish was to set up some volunteering to do in the summer during my free time. So, I called up my old pharmacy manager who also works in a hospital to see how I can go about doing this. She told me that she would speak with her boss and set up an interview sometime in mid april. She told me that only few students are chosen due to the type of environment the pharmacist there work in. She also explained to me that there is no interaction between patients and employees because they work in a seperate section of the hospital and this is where they gather the drugs to dispense.
The main idea behind volunteering in a hospital is to get another feel of the duties of a pharmacist other than just retail. In retail, pharmacist apply their education, but in hospitals my manager told me its at a complete different level of application. I believe that if someone puts on their application that they had both experience in retail and in hospital, it would look very good. Hopefully I hear back from them soon so I can begin as soon as possible.
Tuesday, March 31, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment