Monday, April 6, 2009

Moving and Shaking and Interviewing Dr. McCurdy from Ohio Northern University

Another step that was outlined was to contact a Pharmacy Dean of any pharmacy school and ask them important questions about my concerns and questions. In class, Angela Dade had mentioned to me that she knew a pharmacy dean in the University of Ohio Northern because her daughter was enrolled in the program. I requested the deans information from her and made sure to give him a call. I had called him late in the day on Friday, but obviously he was gone for the weekend. However, I left him a message explaining the reason for my call and if he would be able to call me back. Today around 2:30pm he returned my call. Dr McCurdy was a very pleasant individual to speak with and he clearly answered my concerns about his school and how the program works there.

I mentioned Angela's name and he was very delighted that he was recommended to help out future pharmacy students. I asked him questions about the requirements needed for his school and if he was kind enough to mail me a brochure. He told me that he would basically summarize the brochure over the phone so i didn't have to wait a week for my questions to be answered, which again was very helpful. The main question i had for him is how admission was conducted in Ohio Northern and he told me that this university is more for students who enroll into the 6 year program straight out of high school. It was sort of a disappointment to hear that out of state students have a 1:20 chance in getting in. However, even though i didn't hear what i wanted, he did give me an insight on which schools to apply to since I am a biology major and what pharmacy schools look for in their applications.

Overall, this step turned out to be two things. A step towards my goal on being accepted into pharmacy school and becoming a pharmacist as well as an interview. I believe that this was way out of my network since the contact information was given to me by another individual who just got involved in my network. I was very proud of myself that i finally took the initiative and gave Dr McCurdy, or any other dean, a call to get my answers clearly resolved. A special thanks to both Angela Dade and Dr. Robert McCurdy.

No comments:

Post a Comment